Mazda 3 Wheel Vibration shake

Smoothing out my Mazda 3

My dad bought this 2010 Mazda 3 new. It had tire noise from day one. The rear tires would develop cupping in just a few thousand miles. He had to rotate them often but that just helped mask the problem and never solved it. He went through several sets of tires of various quality brands and all had the cupping issue on the rear.

When I took over the car at 95,000 miles the first thing I did was ditch the stock steel wheels for a set of Enkei Compe wheels. I installed a set of Hankook tires in the stock size at the same time. I even reused the original TPMS sensor even thought they have to be getting near the end of the battery life.

I now have 15000 miles on these tires and so far there is no cupping whatsoever. I have rotated and balanced them every 5000 miles but the wear front to back is completely even.

Dad rode with me this weekend and he said the road noise is less than when it was new. He was amazed I was able to get rid of it.

We suppose that it must be the wheels since nothing else really changed. I am still running the original shocks and springs. I have not made any changes other than the wheels and tires.

Ford F250 Super Duty Parking Brake

Rebuilding parking brake assembly on 2009 Ford F250

When I bought my F250 the parking brake did not hold.  Since this is an automatic, it is no normally a problem.  However, when trying to hook up a trailer the little bit of roll from placing the truck in park can be enough to let the hitch move out of alignment.

I assumed the brake just needed adjustment.  When I could not find the adjuster, I decided to pull the drum off and see what was going on.  What I found shocked me.  There were no parking brake shoes, springs or anything!  It looks like the backing plate rusted out and someone just removed all the parts rather than make the repair.

Continue reading “Ford F250 Super Duty Parking Brake”

TPMS light on my F250

Replacing a TPMS sensor on a 2009 F250

When I bought my F250 the TPMS light was on.  However, when I got it home and filled the tires to correct pressure the light went away.

But after about a month it was back on again.  I checked all the tires and they were the correct pressure.  I looked in the glovebox for the TPMS relearn tool, but it was not included in the stuff left behind.

Continue reading “TPMS light on my F250”

XJ list Royal Blue Scouting Trip

Royal Blue XJ List Scouting trip

A few of the XJ List members went to Royal Blue to see what we could find.  Adam took us to an amazing trail to the sand pits just west of the interstate.

We stayed at Eagle Rock Campground.  The tent camping area is new, and we ended up having it all ourselves.  It was located well away from the regular campground and had a nice feel to it.

There was a short paved drive to the trailhead.  Most of our rigs are not set up for pavement but we made it just fine.

Continue reading “XJ list Royal Blue Scouting Trip”