Removing and installing decals

New number panels for the 944 race car

Our race series ChampCar just got a new title sponsor. So that means new stickers for the car.

Old Number panels

We did not want to be installing new stickers at the race track so we pre ordered new panels with our number already printed on them from RVA graphics.

I began by removing the old stickers. They had been on the car when we bought it and had many layers due to adding patch stickers from pervious series sponsor changes.

Heat Gun

I used a heat gun to warm the vinyl and used a plastic razor blade to help lift the edge. I carefully peeled away the vinyl and used teh scraper where needed. I tried to get as much adhesive as possible to stay on the vinyl but there was still some residue left.

Plastic razor blades

I used Goo Gone and a paper towel to remove the remaining adhesive. In some of the stubborn spots I had to used the plastic razor scraper to get it all. Once all the glue was off the car I washed down the paint of the car with soap and water to remove the goo gone residue.

Goo Gone

The shop was cold when we went to apply the new stickers. I used the propane shop heater to slightly warm the doors. I used the heat gun to warm the new sticklers slightly as well.

Gary first made careful measurements for where he watetd the new sitckers. We decided to center then under the existing lights and fit them so they did not hang off the bottom of the door. He used pencil marks to note the desired target location.

Gary then used a spray bottle to coat the area of the sticker with soap, water, alcohol mixture. He peeled back about a quarter of the backer and wIth some help, he carefully positioned the top of the sticker on his marks.

Then he used a plastic squeegee to press the sticker to the paint and squeeze the water out form behind it. He then carefully peeled off the remainder of the backer as he smoothed the sticker down the door. ONe the sticker was positioned properly, he very patiently worked the water out vorm behind the vinyl. The result was a smooth finish with no air bubbles.

The second door was more difficult because it still has some damage form a previous crash. (Had we known in time that we were required to change the door panels , we would have repaired and repainted the door.) Using the same procedure however he was able to make the new panel conform the the shape of the curved metal. He used the heat gun to help dry and mold the new vinyl to the door.

The roof decal was easiest as the surface was smooth and easy to access. The same soapy water and squeegee technique was used. The only difference was I had to remove and replace our antenna to avoid working around it.