Saturday I was helping Scott change wheels and tires on his XJ Wagoneer.
While it was on the lift, he decided to take a look at his brakes. He found his front pads worn nearly to the backing plate. We searched the barn for a set of pads that I know I have. I had a set of pads that I carried around when we rally raced my Jeep Cherokee. Since his Jeep uses the same pads as mine I was sure we had spares. After a thorough search turned up no pads for an 88 XJ, he used my Jeep to go to the parts store.
While he was gone, I took was going to tighten up his rear drum brakes. As I turned the adjuster, I noticed that it did into click like it is supposed to. I loosened them back up and took the drum off. I found that the cable to works the adjuster was broken.
I dug through my spare parts and found a complete brake setup. When Scott returned, we pulled the cable out and replaced his with it.
We decided to check the other side and found that the cable was intact but simply not attached to the adjuster. After hooking it back up that side adjusted fine also.
We then proceeded to replace the pads on the front. The wear pattern on the pads showed that the calipers were binding on the locater pins. We pulled the pins out and greased them thoroughly. We found the Teflon sleeves to be worn but not really worth an hour’s drive back to the parts store for new ones.
We cleaned it all up and made sure the calipers moved properly. We cleaned and lubricated all the sliding surfaces to make sure the brakes would work properly.
One all the brake work was done we continued with mounting the tires that had started this adventure.
After a quick test drive Scott decided that he may not need to modify his brake booster after all. He can now stop as well as go.
This weekend I helped Jenny change the transmission mount on her XJ. While we had the cross member out we decided to remove the transfer case lowering blocks. This drop was put in to match the tapered lift blocks that came with her lift kit.
We removed the spacers and replaced the tapered blocks with flat blocks.
A test drive showed that the drive shaft vibes were back. I guess the drop is necessary for the 92. I have the same lift on my 88 with no transfer case drop and no drive line vibes.
We spent Sunday afternoon putting the transfer case spacers back in and replacing the flat blocks with the tapered blocks.
The drive line is now smooth again.
My dog Smash is funny dog. Sometimes he wants to have lots of petting and attention and other times he is aloof and independent.
For the past few nights he has wanted to come in the house for a while and get petted. Then he will go back outside to sleep. It has been very cold, but he still prefers to sleep outside.
He does expect me to walk with him to the creek each morning. It does not matter if it is cold or raining or whatever, when I walk out the door, he runs toward the creek. If I don’t follow, he turns around and pouts.
Lately, since it has been so cold, I have begin cranking my Jeep first and letting it warm up while we walk to the creek. This confuses Smash.
When I go to the Jeep, he gets that sad look and then when I turn around to go to the creek, he hesitates a moment as if questioning whether I am serious or not.
For more stories about Smash see his Dog Behavior Blog.
On of my passions is Jeep Cherokees. All my family drives XJs. Mine is a 91 four door with over 300,000 miles. My ex rally racer now turned off road Jeep is an 88 two door with a 4.7L stroker engine. Now with a three inch lift and 33 inch Maxxis Buckshot tires.
My older son drives an 88 XJ Wagoneer with a 4.7L Stroker motor. A real surprise at stoplights when this wood grain sided, white wall tired monster walks off and leaves muscle cars! His wife drives a 96 Cherokee Country.
My younger son has a 91 like mine except his is green.
My Wife drives a 99 Cherokee Classic. Our friend and business partner has a 92 XJ with a 3 inch lift and 31 inch Maxxis Buckshots.
To read more about our Jeeps, see: http://mikestrawbridge.com/jeep-cherokee-off-road.shtml
I am adding Word Press to my web site today. My plan will be to convert the whole site into Word Press blog posts. This may take a while.
I will start by adding new articles directly as Word Press blog posts. I will also start to convert the old stuff as I add the categories.
I am adding adsense ads as well.